Thursday, November 10, 2011

More Relaxed

Last week at our homeschool group Mrs. Hana taught the kids about matter: solids, liquids, and gas. I thought my boys were probably a little too young for the lesson, but they loved it and I have looked for other ways to apply it and discuss it at home. For gas, she gave each of the children a balloon which they put 2 tbs of Baking Soda in, then a water bottle filled 1/4 full of vinegar then once you dumped the soda into the vinegar the gas, CO2, filled the balloon. Then we made ice cream and she explained how it starts off as a liquid. She gave everyone their own bag and quickly it turned to a solid. The children loved it. We also talked about the first Thanksgiving and pilgrims. I think every time we meet it inspires a love of learning and rejuvenates us for a while.

I feel like I have relaxed quite a bit lately with our routine and somehow Benson has still learned amazing things. This last week he got burnt out with reading again so I just stepped back and didn't force anything. Well, almost everyday he has gotten a Dr. Seuss Book and will read for a good 10 min. on his own. He is completely capable so I really struggle to not push him when he gets burnt out. I also pulled out a Math CD my mom had given me a few years ago and I have been putting it on every morning and Benson can now Count by 10's, he knows the months of the year, and tonight he counted to 300 hundred. (I told him if he wanted to keep counting he should try counting in his head.) We've spent a week learning about dinosaurs, now we are learning about pilgrims, and next week we are going to learn about the solar system.

I have had all theses ideas lately that I still don't know how to organize. I love the combination of history and the scriptures which is why I love "The Four year Plan". I love the idea of units but I also know I need to be flexible and not get frustrated if we take a detour. Then I had this idea that maybe I could do FIAR with the scriptures. Then it felt like I was preparing a Sunday school lesson. I still like the idea, but I don't think I will focus our entire curriculum around the scriptures. Then I had the idea of Rowing the suggested "Classics's" list from TJ Ed. I think we will try that for a while. 

I often feel guilty because I feel like I should be doing more homeschooling "stuff" but he is learning. Sometimes I think it is too easy (at least at this point, I'm sure it won't last forever) but he is already exceeded Kindergarten requirements. I feel like everything I do is just part of being a mom. I am enjoying the journey.

Do you remember Pizza Hut Book It's? They still exist and you can do it as a homeschooler. Is that cool or what? As a parent you set the requirements and if your child meets them, he can receive a personal pan pizza every month. The deadline was sometime in Sept. but they said as long as they still have packets left you can enroll. We just signed up about 2 weeks ago. I am excited to do this.

Things I have to remind myself of often:

Inspire a love of learning
"Teach the [people], not the curriculum" - Elder Holland
"Structure time, not content" - TJ Ed

I also decided I am going to start taking the boys to an indoor swimming pooling in I.F. once a month for a little swimming lesson. We went yesterday and they had so much fun. Where my parents in AZ have a pool and we have a ditch right in front of our house I hope they will be able to learn how to swim well...and it's good exercise.